Friday 4 April 2008

Homes not theatres

With the continuing calls for a theatre to be added to the plans for the old Debenhams building, I add my comments by e-mailing this letter to the Editor of the "Express and Echo".

Sir

How times change.

For 30 years I been trying to convince friends, family and others that the arts in general, and theatre in particular, are essential to a healthy and vibrant community. During that time I have been constantly asked why are the arts important?

In December and January, nearly 30,000 in and around Exeter seemed to confirm my career change from biology to theatre sound designer/engineer with their support for the Exeter Northcott.

And now there appears an almost weekly call for the old Debenhams building to be converted into a theatre and/or concert hall,

During my career, I have travelled the length and breadth of the country and have visited many, many theatres and concert halls throughout the UK.

I believe that the layout currently afforded by the building is unsuitable for conversion into an auditorium suitable for either drama or music. There is no economic way that the building could be converted in such a way to entice shows currently presented in Plymouth to be seen here in Exeter while at the same time retaining the iconic profile.

As much as I welcome the current calls for more performing arts venues (it could mean more work for me in my home town), the pressure for space in Exeter means that residents should be demanding more social housing, and I hope the plans outlined by Cllr John Shepherd ("Councillors made debenhams policy", E&E, 3 April 2008) for the remodelled Debenhams building may include provision for affordable homes for rent.

Yours

Paul Bull
Labour Candidate, St James Ward
(via e-mail)

No comments: